Here are some of the best sustainability in study abroad resources I’ve collected while working in this nexus between international education and sustainability for over 25 years. It was last revised on May 8, 2017. Please suggest new resources in the comments so I can keep the list up-to-date. Thanks!
- Green Study Abroad Made Easy by Daniel Greenberg (2016)
- A Necessary Partnership: Sustainability and Study Abroad by Andrea Dvorak et al. (2015)
- How to Volunteer Abroad Sustainably by Laura Jelich (2015)
- Leaving Light Footprints by Karen Leggett (2012)
- Sustainable Travel and Study Abroad by Astrid Jirka (2006)
- EcoAbroad (Facebook Page)
- Started in 2012 as a general forum on this topic. It’s not active, but perhaps you can change that!
- Green Passport (Facebook Page)
- Started in 2007 to support students taking an eco-pledge while studying abroad.
- NAFSA’s Sustainability SIG (Special Interest Group)
- Started in 2009. We have meetings at NAFSA’s Annual Conference and Expo.
- Sustainability in Study Abroad (LinkedIn Group)
- Started in 2011, re-energized in 2017.
Guides and Tips
- Costa Rican Trails Environmental and Security Tips
- General advice around responsible travel.
- How to Create a Sustainable Study Abroad Program (2006)
- A 20-min video funded by a NAFSA grant.
- Sustainability in International Education (2008)
- Recommendations prepared by a NAFSA Task Force I chaired in 2008.
- Transitions Abroad Responsible Travel Handbook (2006)
- A 93-page PDF on responsible tourism with articles from dozens of contributors.
- CAPE – Custom Academic Programs in Ecovillages
- Develops custom faculty-led and other programs based in sustainable communities.
- Earth Deeds
- Offers online tools for groups to meaningfully account for their unavoidable travel emissions.
- Ethical Traveler
- Nonprofit educating travelers about their social and environmental impacts.
- Geared towards conscious travelers. Maintains a World Travel Directory.
- Sustainable Travel International
- General support for sustainable tourism
- The International Ecotourism Society
- A consortium of over 750 organizations and 14,000 individuals promoting ecotourism
- Tourism Concern
- A UK charity exposing tourism’s worst human rights abuses and campaigning against them.
- Abroad101’s Directory of Sustainability Studies Study Abroad Programs
- GoAbroad’s List of Sustainable Development Study Abroad Programs
- Academic Experiences Abroad (95 Countries)
- CELL – Center for Ecological Living and Learning (multiple destinations
- Earth Education International (Costa Rica)
- EARTH University (Costa Rica)
- Ecosa Institute (Arizona)
- El Nomad (Ecuador)
- Expedition Education Institute (North America)
- The GREEN Program (multiple destinations)
- Intercultural Outreach Initiative (Cuba, Galapagos)
- ISDSI (Thailand)
- School for Field Studies (multiple destinations)
- SIT Study Abroad (multiple destinations)
- Walking Tree Travel & Smithsonian Student Adventures (mult. dest. for HS students)
- Where There Be Dragons (multiple destinations)